“Time Out From Anger”
This course is from ‘Positive Parenting’ which is part of ‘Care for the Family’. It is nationally known and widely used. It is to run on 4 consecutive Friday mornings at The Pankhurst Centre by Jayne Martin from the WomenMATTA team.
“Time Out From Anger” is a four week course, although this can be flexible if needed. It focuses on two main areas; managing our own anger (in relation to dealing with children) and helping children manage their anger. There is also a course book that will be given free of charge to those who complete the course.
The aims of the course are:
- To raise awareness of the causes and effects of anger
- To understand the anger process
- To practice some anger management strategies
- To enable parents to respond helpfully to children’s anger
- To help parents learn how to model and explain anger management strategies to their children
- To enable parents to explain the Anger River analogy to their children
- To introduce some age appropriate strategies which children and young people can be taught
This course is often used as a pre-cursor for the other parenting courses this organization produces. It is my intention that after this course there will be a “Time out for Teenagers” course, also with a free course book on completion, to run soon after the completion of “Time out from Anger”